[CT Birds] Enfield Snow Geese

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 24 18:21:09 EDT 2010

>From Jamie Meyers:
10/24 -- Enfield, Freshwater Pond -- 5 SNOW GEESE around 1:40 PM.

Obviously these are the same birds that Paul C. reported yesterday from the nearby boat ramp.  I went to that location first and saw almost nothing in the river but a few gulls and corms.  A few geese were flying over from the west but weren't stopping.  I had driven past this pond on the way over there and stopped for a more extended check on the way out and there were the Snows.  First time I've ever seen anything less than common in that thing and I've checked it a number of times over the years.  The pond is located off Main Street, which in itself is just west of the intersection of CT 220 and CT 5.

I've found the number of siskin reports here interesting, since I have spent the majority of this weekend birding in northern Massachusetts and southern Vermont and didn't record a single one in my travels.  On both days I had a rich variety of sparrows, however.  BTW, the siskins that are passing through now are not early at all.  In years when there is a southbound push, it often occurs around this time.  I remember getting a number of them all over the state in the week or two prior to Halloween a couple years ago.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT