[CT Birds] Stratford Com Eiders, Eur Wigeon, Gannets, possible Curlew Sand.

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 25 22:30:38 EDT 2010

10/25/2010  Stratford
Long Beach (Oak Bluff Ave.)  -  1 COMMON EIDER (1st winter male, close in,
swimming SE), 1 EURASIAN WIGEON (female with small flock Am. Wigeon on marsh
side / Lewis Gut), 2 NORTHERN GANNETS (adults), 5 Greater Scaup, 4 Red-breasted
Mergansers, Common & Red-throated Loons.
But the best bird was a  possible Curlew Sandpiper. I had a brief (2 second) but
close look at a shorebird on the beach at high tide with Sanderlings (1:40), but
which vanished as I attempted to digiscope it.  I spent the next 2.5 hours
walking the beach in both directions but could not relocate it.  It was the size
of a Dunlin, with long decurved bill, but was very pale gray above.  The
scapulars were pale gray but with darker feather shafts. It simply got away
before I could confirm the ID.  And I would have definitely called people had I
been able to relocate it.  I will try to search Tuesday.

Stratford Point (Prospect Drive) - 1 COMMON EIDER (adult male coming out of
eclipse plumage, swimming south), which I showed to Milan Bull; 1 Great
Cormorant, 1 White-winged Scoter, 5 Greater Scaup, 1 Lincoln's Sparrow.

Sikorsky River Walk (Ryder's Lane) - Yellow Warbler (late individual,

Stratford Community Garden (Connors Lane) - Blackpoll Warbler (photos), 2
White-crowned Sparrows.

Selby's Pond (Elm St. at old Shakespeare Theater) - female Northern Pintail.

Wooster Park Pond (Freeman Ave) - 1 Blue-winged Teal, 15 Green-winged Teal

Frank Mantlik