[CT Birds] Windsor: Northwest Park

Jo-Anne Roberts jmrcnslt at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 26 14:45:25 EDT 2010

Not too much activity this afternoon at NW Park. I have always envied those who have reported sightings there in the past. I was probably a half hour into my walk before I saw any activity. A handful of Dark Eyed Juncos in my walking path. Unfortunately, someone was walking toward me and the birds scattered so I couldn't get a good count. There were many in the woods flitting about as I walked by but I couldn't get a good count. I estimate 20 or so. Then I saw a Red Tailed Hawk low in the sky, looking for the right current to soar in. I also heard, but did not see, Black Capped Chickadees, a Red Bellied Woodpecker or two and Crows. I could hear a whole mess of sparrows in the grassland area where they are trying to lure Grasshopper Sparrows. I don't know what kind I was hearing, but they never showed themselves in order for me to even look at them.
On the way home, a Great Blue Heron flew over I-84 in Vernon.
I also had the pleasure of seeing a male Ringed Neck Pheasant, obviously a State released bird, trying to cross the street in front of my house this morning. After a couple of cars approached him from opposite directions, he went back the way he came...into the woods for the hunters to shoot him.
Jo-Anne Mansfield Center