[CT Birds] Weather and rarities

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 18:52:02 EDT 2010

Hi CTBirders,

This has already been mentioned by others, but it bears repeating that the
current weather situation combined with the time of year (Oct/Nov) is a
prime setup for rarities in our region. The weather system that is currently
affecting the eastern half of the country is both large and historically
powerful. Coincidentally, many rarities have been found in the northeast in
recent days. Some of them have to do with this weather system and some do
not. Here are some birds to keep an eye out for, in addition to the
completely unexpected:

 - Cave and other rare swallows. Please report any swallow flocks to the
listserv, as they may contain surprises.
 - Franklin's Gull - A REALLY tough bird in CT, two were found today on Long
Island!
 - Boreal Chickadee - multiples seen south of normal range in the Great
Lakes region as part of a fall irruption of Black-capped (obviously not
storm-related)
 - Ash-throated Flycatcher, an "expected" regional rarity at this time of
year
 - Le Conte's Sparrow - a handful of sightings in our region over the past
week or so
 - rare hummingbirds
 - Though not much of a rarity, many Cattle Egrets have appeared to our
northwest, perhaps to do with the weather

Some less predictable stuff, such as a Bronzed Cowbird in Maine and a
possible Caribbean-type Martin in Massachusetts, have also appeared. Best to
keep an open mind.

This weather system/cold front doesn't look like its going to clear with
classic NW winds, but the low was strong enough to disperse birds over a
broad front. Whatever birds that may have been displaced could linger well
inland before being pushed south and east by future cold fronts...so if this
storm displaces birds, we might not see some of them for several days or
weeks.

We'll see if anything develops at all.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT