[CT Birds] Weather and rarities

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 19:11:33 EDT 2010

To add to what Nick said, the first of two cold fronts passed through today.
The second will go through tomorrow, dry but bringing cold air down with it.
It will usher in the classic NW winds mentioned for Friday and Saturday. The
low pressure system behind this week of weather spawned tornadoes, hail,
blizzard conditions, heavy rain, strong winds - nearly every weather
condition imaginable over more than half of the country. It was the lowest
pressure ever recorded over land in the United States. Yes, you read that
correctly: the lowest pressure *ever* recorded on land within our borders.
For some reason it has received relatively little coverage compared to
events like the 1993 Superstorm. It was the equivalent of a category 3
hurricane in the Midwest (without the same magnitude of destruction). There
can be no doubt this historical storm pushed all sorts of birds in every
direction, and sightings across the region over the past week seem to verify
this notion. I won't list them off now, but Connecticut seems to be bringing
up the rear in finding big rarities from it. They are out there - time to
find them. Good luck to those who can get outside.

Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT
Connecticut Audubon Society