[CT Birds] Southport Survey #243

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Thu Oct 28 14:34:51 EDT 2010

Southport Survey # 243

The tide was low and the island exposed. The wind was out of the
south west with a morning haze. Off shore things were empty except
for a Common Loon with a flock of mostly Ring-billed Gulls overhead.

At the Golf course there were 3 Cattle Egrets on the lawns. These
were a new species for the survey. They just flew in when I parked.
When I was ready to leave they were hard to find. Instead of the
lawns, they were skulking through the broom grass in the roughs and
not easy to spot. The other interesting point was the abundance of
Ring-billed Gulls. They were likely recent arrivals. Mute Swans
continue to be missing from the area.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

DATE	9/29	10/8	10/21	10/28