[CT Birds] Bluff Pt tomorrow

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 28 21:58:31 EDT 2010

Glenn I won't be there either since I am throwing a Halloween party for a
bunch of my daughter's friends this weekend and I have a lot of prep to do
still. There should be a decent flight tonight, numerically dominated by
Yellow-rumped Warblers, Golden-crowned Kinglets, and many Sparrows. However,
quite a few birds moved yesterday and I heard many White-throated Sparrows,
Robins, and Towhees around here this morning, as well as more Siskins flying
over. You're right that late season migrants do morning flight a little
differently relative to the wonderful phenomenon of the Bluff Point hot
corner. The possibility of vagrants that you alluded to is of course the
real spice in the cake. In that regard I would offer the advice of paying
more attention to the areas leading up to the terminal spot where the birds
usually leave from. That way you should get more time to view individual
birds. I would also suggest watching the fence lines carefully (Western
Kingbird or even better tyrant flycatcher, and Say's Phoebe spring to mind).
Checking the fence line at the Groton-New London Airport is worthwhile as
well but be aware they had a recent security scare (false alarm) that means
you may get a visit from the authorities if you get out of your vehicle. And
of course tomorrow is an excellent day for Cave Swallows based on the recent
weather flow (assuming Cave Swallows are moving in any meaningful way this
year that is). Other than that I'd simply say take nothing for granted since
some rarities can get lost in the crowd, like a Hermit Warbler being taken
for a late Black-throated Green. Luck favors the prepared as the proverbial
"they" say.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England

"I can't make it there, but it looks like it could be a good day at Bluff
Point tomorrow.  I've spent more than a few mundane late October or November
days at the hot corner, but there is always that chance for something to
make it all worthwhile.  The downside is that many of the late season
migrants do not do the traditional morning flight."

"Dave - if you have any advice for late fall birding at Bluff Point, please
comment.  I hope the winds hold up for Saturday morning."

Glenn Williams
Mystic