[CT Birds] Birds moving, Bruce Park, Greenwich

DEIRDRE MURTHA sdmurtha at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 29 15:20:52 EDT 2010

Today was a noticeable change from earlier this week, which was evident before I even got out of my car.  In the shrubs near where I parked were CHIPPING SPARROWS (not seen in a while), RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS and also GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS  (suddenly numerous), and a late BLUE HEADED VIREO.  A BROWN CREEPER explored a nearby trunk.  Walking yielded a huge increase in WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS, with at least 2 FOX SPARROWS among them, and 2 HERMIT THRUSHES.  Only 1 YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER was seen, a big change from recent days.  I heard an OSPREY overhead; at least one has been lingering in the Greenwich harbor area.  Noticeably missing were Robins (though I saw many in flight early in the morning), Nuthatches, Woodpeckers, and any raptors beside the osprey; also no egrets or cormorants on the ponds (they had been numerous all week).

Sean Murtha