[CT Birds] Penfield Reef good birds

eyeflight16 at optonline.net eyeflight16 at optonline.net
Fri Oct 29 17:53:36 EDT 2010

With all the reports of rarities around, I decided to go outside my house at Penfield Reef and just scan around to see if I could find anything interesting. I had the most productive scan I have ever had. In a matter of about 40 minutes I found the following birds:

3 Common Loons-- FOS
9 Brant--FOS
1 Red-breasted Merganser--FOS
9 Forster's Terns-- I think this is a new bird for Penfield Reef
25 White-winged Scoters
1 Surf Scoter
13 Black Scoters-- new bird for Penfield Reef
1 COMMON EIDER-- new bird for Penfield Reef
1 SHORT-EARED OWL-- seen flying out over LI sound from east to west-- unbelievable!

Scoters of any type are very uncommon at the reef, so this variety, along with an eider, is unheard of here. Add in a Short-eared Owl, 3 FOS's, and 3 new birds for Penfield Reef and it was an incredible 40 mins.

James Purcell