[CT Birds] 9,600+ migrants Boothe Park

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 21:19:32 EDT 2010

Not raptors, of course, but nearly everything else at Boothe Park in
Stratford. We only had 19 raptors in those four hours, but from 8-12 either
Frank Mantlik and I recorded the following in-air migrants: 1 CACKLING GOOSE
Frank spotted (I saw too) among 187 Canada Goose, 4,382 American Robin,
2,645 Common Grackle, 1,556 Red-winged Blackbird, 315 Brown-headed Cowbird,
222 Cedar Waxwing, 128 PURPLE FINCH, 73 PINE SISKIN, 14 AMERICAN PIPIT, 4
Eastern Bluebird, 1 Tree Swallow, 36 Yellow-rumped Warbler, 1 Common Loon,
18 Blue Jay, 52 Dark-eyed Junco, 47 House Finch, 16 American Goldfinch. 295+
finch went by unidentified at the very least.

The park had (on the ground) 150+ Dark-eyed Junco, 2 YELLOW-BELLIED
SAPSUCKER, and plenty of the usual suspects. I started and then Frank
finished alone, though even when both of us were there we could not keep up
with the birds. Frank suggested we needed clickers like Cape May. I am sure
we missed thousands. It was a fantastic morning that seems to have occurred
in the same manner for many all over the immediate region. I feel there is
no doubt it is a direct result of the blocking performance put on by the
historic October Superstorm. We may get a smaller version of this tomorrow.
Whether it is that or the chance of finding more huge rarities, if you can
go outside this weekend, do it!

Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT
Connecticut Audubon Society