[CT Birds] 9,600+ migrants Boothe Park

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 21:19:32 EDT 2010

Not raptors, of course, but nearly everything else at Boothe Park in
Stratford. We only had 19 raptors in those four hours, but from 8-12 either
Frank Mantlik and I recorded the following in-air migrants: 1 CACKLING GOOSE
Frank spotted (I saw too) among 187 Canada Goose, 4,382 American Robin,
2,645 Common Grackle, 1,556 Red-winged Blackbird, 315 Brown-headed Cowbird,
222 Cedar Waxwing, 128 PURPLE FINCH, 73 PINE SISKIN, 14 AMERICAN PIPIT, 4
Eastern Bluebird, 1 Tree Swallow, 36 Yellow-rumped Warbler, 1 Common Loon,
18 Blue Jay, 52 Dark-eyed Junco, 47 House Finch, 16 American Goldfinch. 295+
finch went by unidentified at the very least.

The park had (on the ground) 150+ Dark-eyed Junco, 2 YELLOW-BELLIED
SAPSUCKER, and plenty of the usual suspects. I started and then Frank
finished alone, though even when both of us were there we could not keep up
with the birds. Frank suggested we needed clickers like Cape May. I am sure
we missed thousands. It was a fantastic morning that seems to have occurred
in the same manner for many all over the immediate region. I feel there is
no doubt it is a direct result of the blocking performance put on by the
historic October Superstorm. We may get a smaller version of this tomorrow.
Whether it is that or the chance of finding more huge rarities, if you can
go outside this weekend, do it!

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT