[CT Birds] Dickcissel in Monroe; other swings and misses

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 30 21:17:28 EDT 2010

>From Jamie Meyers:
10/30 - Monroe, Victoria Drive: DICKCISSEL and 3 first-year WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS in a brushy field on the north (left) side of the road at the bottom of a hill where there is an old red tractor parked.  The Dickcissel was in a bush very near the road but I suppose it could be found anywhere in the area.
Danbury, Tarrywile Park: FOX SPARROW (my first of the season)

I believe that negative reports, while not as much fun as positive ones, are important, so in the interest of that I will note that I tried for an missed the Ellington Eared Grebe, the Wallingford Barnacle Goose -- in fact there were relatively few geese around the vicinity around 10 AM or, and the Milford LeConte's at noon, which I knew from Frank's post was a bad time to visit.  Flush with the not so sweet stink of failure, I went inland to search for additions to town lists.

Thus my stumbling upon this excellent weedy area in Monroe.  It's one of those transient places where it looks like they're going to develop the heck out of it if the economy ever improves but for now, it's a nice little patch.  In addition to the birds I noted above, there were also Palm Warblers (easterns) and multitudes of more common sparrows and Ruby-crowned Kinglets.  There is a bike path that cuts along one side of the field so I think it might be town land; it was not posted anyway.

Tarrywile Park in Danbury has a lot of open space and brush too and looks to have potential for sparrows, though I have not succeeded much in finding more than the common species in a couple trips there.  A nice walk anyway.

Most large bodies of water that I checked for waterfowl and such were devoid of activity.  Taunton Lake in Newtown had Ruddies, several Buffleheads and a single Ring-necked Duck hen frolicking with Mallards.  I wouldn't be surprised if the hawk watches recorded a bunch of accipiters today; they seemed to be out and about in numbers.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT