[CT Birds] Windsor Barnacle Goose

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 31 18:42:06 EDT 2010

Alas, there were no unusual geese present at this location when I hurriedly arrived there around 5:15 or so this evening.  However, there are numerous corn fields in the area and plenty of places for geese to go.  There were flocks on the ground in a corn field off Day Hill Road about 1/2 west of the Konica Minolta building, in another corn field off Old Day Hill, which is just east of the building, and also a lot of geese on the lawns and around a largish pond at Waterside Crossing, which is off CT 189 near Vito's something or other restaurant.  I also noted numerous skeins of geese flying east; I know there are cornfields along the Farmington River in Windsor but I don't know how to get there.  Jay mentioned a couple hundred birds; in various places I must have seen and scanned through nearly two thousand honkers, all with chin straps.

Hopefully this bird will stick for a spell anyway until more of us can catch up with it.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT