[CT Birds] Saturday morning-"a little bit of this and that" West Haven and Guilford

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Sat Nov 6 21:23:08 EDT 2010

Along the West Haven beaches-a few hundred brant on sandy point
sandbar, 5 common loons inside the sandbar just out from the boat
ramp, 1 merlin flying over the harbor and 1 harrier near the treatment
plant. A pair of redtails at bradley point flying into the marsh
across the street. 9 Ruddies inside bradley rock with black ducks. A
small flock of monks in the usual place near Woodmont traffic circle.
Outside the cove at the circle besides the usual Canada geese and
mallards were 11 red breasted mergansers and 2 bufflehead. Looked
through all the gulls along the beaches didn't see anything other than
the "usuals". 60 brant off long wharf with a few black ducks. The
marshes along Leetes Island Road in Guilford-3 g b herons and 1 adult
black crowned night heron (perched on the old pilings). The tidal pond
at the corner of Leetes Island Road and Sachem Head Road with a
falling tide had a good flock of greater yellowlegs-31 plus 3 lesser
yellowlegs,5 kildeer and 1 pectoral sandpiper with 9 black ducks. On
the large rock inside Great Harbor at the end of Trolley Road had 7
laughing gulls (most likely from the same birds I saw yesterday). 5
BOBWHITE ran across the road in front of my truck on Sachem Head. A
large flock of turkey were on both sides of 148 near my home and 3
ravens and 1 red shouldered hawk in my yard. Interesting day!

Keith MUeller    Killingworth