[CT Birds] Snow Buntings, American Pipits, and interesting Junco at Hammonasset

Sunrisebirding at aol.com Sunrisebirding at aol.com
Tue Nov 9 09:58:39 EST 2010

>From Gina Nichol:
11/9/2010 - Hammonasset, Madison, 7:30 - 8:30 AM -- 29  SNOW BUNTINGS, 4
AMERICAN PIPITS plus a large flock of Dunlin and Black-bellied  Plover and a
few Horned Larks in the Nature Center parking lot.

There were a few Dark-eyed Junco flocks being blown around by the  wind.
One particular individual in the flock at the walk through to the  West Beach
buildings had a dark hood and decidedly brown back which made me  think it
might have been an "Oregon" type.  The flock dispersed into the  nearby
pines as a DEP work truck drove through. I know these subspecies are rare  in CT
and can be difficult to differentiate.  Any comments/advice  appreciated.

Gina Nichol
Branford