[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge - Golden Eagle + cool Red-tail

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Thu Nov 11 16:10:01 EST 2010

Hi All,

1 Golden Eagle a near adult bird was nice for the day as were the 3 Balds which pushed our total up to 226 on the season (exactly 50 birds over our previous record!). Coolest bird of the day however had to be a leucistic or partially albino Red-tailed Hawk. The top-side of the bird was essentially all white apart from a red tail and dark feathers in the outer primaries. Underneath the bird showed a fairly strong belly band but apart from that was again all white - no patagial marks or dark feathering in the coverts. Pretty crazy looking bird and easily the highlight of the day. Good also to see James Purcell up at the watch - sorry we couldn't find you a Goshawk! Maybe next time or on the trip to Hammo?

Luke Tiller, Greenwich
www.underclearskies.com