[CT Birds] Excellent morning at Hammonasset

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Mon Nov 8 16:43:53 EST 2010

(Continued from the Jerry's post) Got to the park at 8:00 am and was
the first (and only) one in the park. Snow, sleet and then rain with
heavy W-NW winds. There were 18 black ducks in Meigs pond with 1 g b
heron. Just after the pond along the "boat launch" road to the point,
for a split second my eye caught sight of a beautiful SHORT-EARED OWL
standing on the small sand dune along the right side of the road and
it then flushed. It flew effortlessly across the area of the pond and
then flew down the dunes towards the pavilian. I managed a handful of
decent images (considering the poor light and heavy rain) That was a
fantastic experience!!

There were 300+/- shorebirds on the breakwater and on the beach both
sides of the breakwater. 100 +/- sanderlings, 100 +/- dunlins, 50
black bellied plover and approx 50 ruddy turnstone. Also 1 kildeer in
the flock. It was hard to get a decent count as the birds were
constantly moving....flocks would come in from the East and others
would lift up and fly to the West. A small flock of horned larks were
sitting on the sand in front of the parking area. When I reached the
breakwater, there were approx 50 snow buntings holding tight on the
rocks at the beginning of the breakwater using the weeds and brush as
a shield from the wind.

I sat on the lee side of the breakwater and saw 2 swimming COMMON
EIDER (1 hen and 1 juv. dr), 1 single hen fly by heading West, and
then a flock of 6 (4 h and 2 drake) heading West. Also: 3 OLDSQUAW
swimming at the end of the jetty, 3 red throated loon, and 11 common
loon both swimming and flying. 4 flocks of surf scoter (flock 0f 5, 7,
8 and 13). I juv. GREAT CORMORANT and 1 BONAPARTE's GULL. 5 single
GANNETS flying West ( 3 adults 1 brown/white and 1 brown plumage) and
one larger alcid most likely a RAZORBILL flew outside the jetty
heading towards Faulkners Island. THe bird was just beyond the range
of my binoculars for a 100% ID (Jerry-I need a better pair) but my
opinion was a razorbill not a murre (seen many of both species off
Race Point).

While I was sitting photographing the shorebirds, a flock of 20+
AMERICAN PIPIT landed on the beach between the jetty and my truck.
They stayed for less than a minute and then flew off down the beach
heading West. 1 lone swallow (unidentified) flew over my head heading
South, and then turned around and flew back towards the North. I
couldn't ID the bird, but it had a short "squarish" and slightly
rounded tail.

Despite the heavy winds, there were 2 peregrines cruising the beach
sending the shorebirds into panicked flights resembling a large ball
or knot. This lasted for a few minutes and then the falcons headed
NEast.

In the field near the nature center there was a flock of approx. 50+/-
sanderlings, dunlins and b b plover feeding after the snow
melted....earthworms were the food of choice. Also 8 snow buntings.

On the way out of the park, a huge large "ball" flock of starlings
were being followed by a peregrine who eventually made a dive into the
flock with success.

A very good morning at Hammonasset!

Keith Mueller  Killingworth