[CT Birds] A pesky Flicker

Orientale, Eugene EOrienta at stfranciscare.org
Mon Nov 8 18:58:34 EST 2010

Hello all,

I am a victim of both good and bad fortune. My newly found passion for feeding the birds in my neighborhood has resulted in a number of devoted guests, including several from the woodpecker clan: many pairs of downy, a single pair of Hairy, occasional red bellied, and most recently, a pair of gorgeous flickers. Unfortunately, the male of the flicker pair is not content with suet alone; he has found his way to the cedar clapboard on my home. There is a single deteriorating piece of window trim on my attic closet window- and the male flicker keeps pecking away at the board. I plan to replace it in the spring, and have been filling the holes with wooden 'plaster.' Yet, the flicker keeps returning.

Any thoughts on how I might divert his interest back to my feeder and away from my home? My wife Jean, who insisted I throw this out to the CT birding community at large, would be most appreciative! Many thanks-

Eugene Orientale
Glastonbury, CT
NOTICE: This email and/or attachments may contain confidential or proprietary information which may be legally privileged. It is intended only for the named recipient(s). If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this email, please notify the author by replying to this message. If you are not the named recipient, you are not authorized to use, disclose, distribute, make copies or print this email, and should immediately delete it from your computer system. Saint Francis Care has scanned this email and its attachments for malicious content. However, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Saint Francis Care accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.