[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge - 3 Northern Goshawks, 2 Goldens, Glaucous Gull, Snow Buntings

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Tue Nov 9 22:17:34 EST 2010

Hi All,

A day of quality more than quantity at Quaker today. 50 raptors including 3 Northern Goshawks (which broke down as 1 adult male, 1 adult female and 1 juvie helping to make sure sightings over a relatively short period weren't duplications). All provided excellent viewing including a particularly incredible show put on by the adult female. In view fora minute or two soaring over the site fairly low she gave he mostincredible bin and scope views. The adult male was incredibly sleek and smaller in comparison (but the two-toned upperwing pattern is the key plumage ID mark) almost giving the impression of a Peregrine on the way in (males also tend to look pointier winged than females). A privilege just to be able to witnessthis magnificent bird a number of times today! 2 Golden Eagles including a very close views of one early bird right overhead rounded out the hawk show.

As well as the quality hawk show we had 8 Snow Buntings and a white-winged gull that on reflection I am pretty certain was a Glaucous (relatively large two-toned bill, no hint of gray in primaries and sheer bulk), the gull was heading west which makes a change here as most gulls seem to move N-S or S-N between the reservoirs up here and the coast.

Out of interest I also just put up one of AJ Hands stunning pictures of the Le Conte's Sparrow on my blog. Thanks to him for sending me them. Having seen the bird in the gloom it's nice to have a shot of what it might have looked like in its full glory. Looking at that picture it's hard to see why some birders don't seem to be a fan of sparrows. Simply beautiful! http://underclearskies.com/2010/11/09/le-contes-sparrow/

Hopefully more quality sightings to come tomorrow at the watch.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich
www.underclearskies.com