[CT Birds] Northern Parula, Golden Eagle

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Nov 11 12:52:00 EST 2010

Took a ride through Boston Hollow (Yale Forest) area in Ashford  today, and
saw  very few birds, but a couple of good  ones.

Location:     Boston Hollow/Barlow Mill
Observation  date:     11/11/10
Number of species:      2

Golden Eagle     1     Gorgeous full  adult. 1st 1 I've seen in Ct except
at Lighthouse Point
Northern Parula   1     brilliant plumage - not much different from a
spring bird

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(_http://ebird.org_
(http://ebird.org) )

The Parula was all by itself in a little  marshy  pond area on Bigelow
brook near the  old mill site. It was flitting around in the brush near the
water, and thanks to  my rolling blind (car), I was able to watch it for 5
minutes or more as close as  15-20 feet.

I think I was meant to see the eagle, but I had to work for it.  I Stopped
for a little flock of chickadees in the middle of the woods, but I saw  a
raptor soar over. I could barely see it through the trees and assumed it was a
 Red Tail, so I almost didn't bother to look for it. But I got another
glimpse  and tried to follow it till it hit an open hole for a second or 2, and
I  realized it was an eagle. Since it looked all black in my brief glimpse,
I  assumed it was a immature B E. I headed down the road about 1/4 mile to
one of  the very few open areas (same place i found the Parula) and looked
back. I saw  nothing at first, but as I was about to leave, a bird popped up
above the trees.  The sun was behind my back so the lighting was perfect, but
for a second I  wondered if it was a Buteo because the head looked too
short and light colored.  But then I realized with the massive wings it could
only be an eagle. The bird  dropped below the trees and I had to run 100 feet
or so to a little bridge where  it was more open, and it popped up again. It
circled in the sun giving me a  perfect look at the golden head and
brownish wings, and it finally dawned on me  it was a Golden. That made it more
than worth the effort.

Don Morgan,  Coventry

http://birdingnect.blogspot.com/

"Think, every morning when the sun peeps through
The dim, leaf-latticed windows of the grove,
How jubilant the happy birds renew
Their old, melodious madrigals of love!"
H.W.  Longfellow