[CT Birds] Ellington Eared Grebe -- yes

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 14 11:14:38 EST 2010

>From Jamie Meyers:
11/14 -- Ellington, Snenipsit Lake: EARED GREBE continues.  As previously noted, the bird was in a small cove on the extreme northwestern side of the lake near where Snenipsit Lake Road bends.  This morning it was hanging very near a fallen pine tree in the water and was loosely associating with a female Mallard.

Also present -- a small flock of Common Mergs and a small flock of Ring-necked Ducks on the Ellington side, and about 10 or so Greater Scaup with a hen Bufflehead on the Tolland side.

Ironically, I've seen more Eared Grebes in CT (2) over the past two weeks than I did in a five day trip to Arizona (1) last week, though the purpose of my trip out west was not primarily for birding.  I did see many more Western Grebes in AZ than CT, however.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT