[CT Birds] King Eider, Westport CBC

lpflynn at optonline.net lpflynn at optonline.net
Mon Dec 20 15:03:10 EST 2010

During the Westport Chrismas Bird Count on 12/19/10 Chris Bosak and myself came upon an EIDER near Goose Island, Westport. We thought this bird to be a COMMON EIDER.
I had posted a picture of it on my blogsite after we got in off the boat.
Nick Bonomo called this morning advising me that I had misidentified this bird, it was in fact a KING EIDER.

Photo can be seen at www.long-tails.blogspot.com

Yesterdays Boat Report from the Norwalk Islands.

Location:     Norwalk Islands
Observation date:     12/19/10
Notes:     Christmas Bird Count, Westport, CT. Cloudy, temps low 30F, NE wind 6-12kts High tide 9:30am Water Temp low 40's
Number of species:     32

Brant     30
Canada Goose     50
Mute Swan     10