[CT Birds] OT, but a good birding cause

Rick Baumhauer rick.baumhauer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 13:20:28 EST 2010

I hope the administrators will excuse this OT post, as it is for a good cause very much related to birding.

Pepsi of Canada is giving out grants to organizations in various fields, and one of the organizations in the running for a $25,000 grant is Operation Migration, which uses ultralight aircraft to teach captive-bred Whooping Cranes to migrate from Ontario to wintering grounds in the southern US.  The grants for this category will be given to the top two vote getters, and Operation Migration has moved up from 10th at the beginning of December to 7th as of today.

You can get more information on the project and the Pepsi grants here:

http://www.refresheverything.ca/helpwhoopingcranesnow

You will have to register on the site in order to vote, and you can vote once per day in each category.  I donated to Operation Migration a couple years ago when vandals did a lot of damage to their office space and aircraft, and it's a project that survives on a shoestring as it is.  I'm sure the grant would be of great assistance to their work, and I hope New England birders will take a few minutes between now and the end of the year to cast their votes and try and get them into the top two positions.

Rick Baumhauer
Hamden, CT