[CT Birds] Barnacle Goose, Westport

Tom de Boor tomdb2 at aol.com
Thu Dec 23 23:16:31 EST 2010

Subject: Barnacle Goose, Westport
My son and I saw the Barnacle Goose at about 3 PM today (Thursday) in
Westport.  It really does pay to check out the entire park--we finally found
it in the last group of geese we ran across before giving up.  She was very
focused on feeding, with her back to us (I picked her out by back color,
then back pattern), and when something caused all the geese to stride away,
her limp was really quite pronounced (is it getting worse?).  It was a
particular thrill for my son to see her as he was in a People to People
student ambassador program in Scotland this summer--thanks to everyone for
continuing to post about her.

Tom de Boor
Branford, CT

PS I am calling the Barnacle a "her" because I think I read in a previous
post that the bird is female (I assume its sex is known, since it's been
banded)?