[CT Birds] Bumper Cardinals

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Fri Dec 24 06:27:20 EST 2010

 Hi All,

Interesting that a number of you are noting large numbers of Cardinals. Whilst doing the morning flight project for Benjamin Van Doren, Shai Mitra was asking people to keep an eye out for Cardinals in unusual spots where they don't breed, as there seemed to be a movement of them this fall. As I recall Cardinal movement is poorly understood and they are therefore somewhat unpredictable in their movements. During fall it was interesting to me to note the arrival of birds one rarely thinks of as migratory in the little park along the Hudson River in NYC by my girlfriends apartment. These included such things as Black-capped Chickadee, White-breasted Nuthatch, Downy  and Red-bellied Woodpeckers -I actually did a little post on it: http://underclearskies.com/2010/10/03/little-park-big-day/ As Greg noted the other day the time and location of a birds sighting can often be very interesting in and of itself even when one generally considers the bird a common species in the state.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich (and London England right now)