[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club January Schedule

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Fri Dec 24 11:22:50 EST 2010

Happy holidays, Folks,

Here is the New Haven Bird Club's schedule for January.

Thanks,
Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director

Indoor Meeting:

January 13, 7:30 PM. Julian Hough .  The Scilly Isles: Searching for
the “Mega” Rarities.  Jones Auditorium of the Connecticut
Agricultural Experiment Station, 123 Huntington St., New Haven.  Free
and open to the public.
Originally from England and a lover of birds since at least the age
of six, Julian spent all his spare time as a teen combing the British
Isles for rare birds. Later he moved to America, settling first in
Cape May to further pursue his interest in birds. Today he is, among
many avian and other activities, a widely-published bird photographer
and distinguished member of COA’s Avian Records Committee….Who better
to talk about the well-known British frenzy and passion for birding?
He’ll do so tonight  with a series of slides of the Scilly Isles, the
island group southwest of the UK. Long renowned for the number of
rarities found there, these islands are a veritable birders’ mecca,
and especially during migration, as the birds arrive, so do the
fanatically eager Brits. Along with rare—for them—vagrants from
America (to us, the birds may be as common as Black-and-White Warbler
and Red-eyed Vireo), the English twitchers might see Siberian strays
such as Radde’s Warbler and Olive-backed Pipit, as well as exotic
European species such as Bee-eater and Hoopoe. Nowhere else on earth
would anyone be able to see a Siberian Pallas’s Warbler in the same
bush as a Scarlet Tanager. A little frenzy might even be in order!
For Brits, this is what the “Scilly Season” is all about.   Social
half-hour at 7:00, program begins at 7:30.
For more information: www.newhavenbirdclub.org or call 203.288.3087.

Field Trips:

First Wednesday Walk : Sherwood Island St. Park, Westport.
Wednesday, January 5, 9:30 AM. Free and open to the public.  (Note
later start time).  Enjoy this mid-week trip to a great birding spot
on Long Island Sound. We will look on the Sound for loons, goldeneye,
grebes, and sea ducks. In the park’s fields and trees, we may find
Horned Larks, Snow Buntings, sparrows, and crossbills. Meet at the
main parking lot in the park. (Note the later start time that will
help us avoid commuter traffic).  Co-leaders for this walk will be AJ
Hand & Tina Green.  Contact—Tina Green: 203.247.2660,
tina at renaissancestudios.com

Stratford/Milford Birding Tour.   Sunday, January 16, 7:30 AM.   Free
and open to the public.  Join us as we visit the marshes and beaches
in Stratford and Milford.  We’ll be looking for sea ducks, gulls,
raptors, and shorebirds.  Meet at the commuter lot on Schoolhouse
Road in Milford just south of Exit 35 on I-95.   Leader: Chris
Loscalzo: 203 389-6508 or closcalz at optonline.net

Hammonasset State Park, Madison.  Saturday, January 29, 8:00 AM. Free
and open to the public.  Join us on a visit to this prime CT birding
location for a mid-winter excursion. We will be looking for sea
ducks, shorebirds, grassland species, and winter finches. Notable
sightings from last year’s trip were Great Horned and Barred Owls,
Sanderlings and Ruddy Turnstones, pipits, and dozens of Yellow-rumped
Warblers. We will check out the entire park, including the
campgrounds area. Meet at the Nature Center parking lot at Meig’s Point.
Leader—Chris Loscalzo:  203.389.6508, closcalz at optonline.net