[CT Birds] Stratford and Southbury, Dec. 24 - 25

Scott Baron brnpelican at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 25 20:19:57 EST 2010

Hello, birders.

Home for the holidays!  Which means birding in between family stuff.

Took a coastal tour of the Stratford shore yesterday (12/24).  I visited the
Seawall, Long Beach, Cove Place near Stratford Point and Frash Pond.

The Seawall area held the usual LI Sound waterbirds - common gulls, Goldeneye,
Red-breasted Merg., etc.

At Long Beach, highlights included 1 adult Bald Eagle flying west over the
marsh, a Ruddy Turnstone, Purple Sandpiper and Sanderling on a jetty and  a
flock of approx. 75 Sanderlings flying west.

Off of Cove Place (lots of No Parking signs in area, I parked on the east end of
Bayview Blvd. which has no such signs) the large flock of ducks reported by
other birders continues, mostly White-winged Scoter and Greater Scaup.

Frash Pond is half frozen and holds a decent variety of waterfowl, including 18
Canvasback.

While I was driving on Rte. 113 through the large marsh near the airport a
female AM. KESTREL landed in a small tree at the side of the road as my car
approached.  Perhaps this bird will be of interest for the Stratford/Milford CBC
tomorrow.  Later in the afternoon, a female Harrier passed in front of my car.

On Christmas morning I visited Settlers Park on Crook Horn Rd. in Southbury.
Birds were quite active there.  Before the park was created it was known as a
good sparrow place.  There is a small loop trail which still has nice weedy
habitat for sparrows.  This is where I found a mixed flock including 1 or 2
Field Sparrows.  The golf course held a big flock of Can. Geese and another big
flock of noisy Am. Crows.  There were at least 2 Fish Crows in the mix.

I loved hearing the rumbling noises from the ice in the frozen ponds at the golf
course.  I'm surprised that there is so much open water in Conn. right now.  In
the DC area even parts of the wide Potomac are frozen.

Merry Christmas,

Scott Baron
Fairfax, Va.