[CT Birds] Old Saybrook Snow Buntings, Ruddy Ducks and Old Lyme Bald Eagle

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Sun Dec 26 15:17:46 EST 2010

After leaving Hammonasset this morning seeing the same Common Eiders,
Horned Larks and Lapland Longspurs that Jerry Connolly reported on the
site, my wife Jen and I drove over to Old Saybrook to look around
(before the snow hit). It was unexpectedly sparse! Making our first
stop in Westbrook at Grove Beach, we saw only a few gulls along the
beaches to Menunketesuck Island. After seeing 1 imm. Coopers Hawk and
1 Red Tail Hawk and 9 Surf Scoters near Cornfield Point, I stopped
near the causeway to photograph the 50 +/- Ruddies in South Cove.
While I was walking down the causeway walkway, there were 17 SNOW
BUNTINGS sitting out of the NE wind in the stones of the north side
bulkhead on the causeway.

The only other birds we saw in South Cove were a few swans, gulls and
a pair of mallards. No birds were seen in the small harbor and along
the sea wall above the Saybrook Point Inn. No birds in the open water
of North Cove.

We drove over to the Old Lyme side- off the DEP docks, state boat
ramp, and White Sands Beach, the only bird we saw was an adult BALD
EAGLE sitting on a large piece of driftwood on Griswold Island
(formally Griswold Point).

The only other waterfowl we saw were a good bunch of Hooded
Mergansers, Mallards and Black Ducks in the Menunketesuck River north
of Route 1.

Off to the Rhode Island on Tuesday. Maybe after this storm and the
heavy NE/N/NW winds the alcids will again make a strong showing;
unharmed by the storm and healthy of course!

Keith Mueller  Killingworth