[CT Birds] Stratford CBC 12/26 - Short Beach Area

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 26 18:54:22 EST 2010

Scott Kruitbosch and I birded the Stratford-Milford CBC in the snow and wind on
12/26, covering the Short Beach Area (and I checked a couple other spots
enroute).
Highlights:
-Northern Pintail, female  (Raven Park Pond = Rt 110 duckpond).
- 2 KING EIDERS (female), 3000 Greater Scaup, 10 Lesser Scaup, 3000 White-winged
Scoter, 500 Surf Scoter, 1 BLACK SCOTER (foot of Cove Place).
-3 Pied-billed Grebes
-1 Double-crested Cormorant (breakwater off Short Beach)
- GREAT EGRET (Short Beach lagoon)
- American Kestrel, 11 BOAT-TAILED GRACKLES  (Sikorsky Airport entrance 7:15am)
- 18 Am. Coot, 1 Wilson's Snipe  (Birdseye St. boat ramp / marsh)
- 1 Belted Kingfisher ("Avco" Cove)
- 25 Horned Larks, 1 Am. Pipit, 1 Lapland Longspur (Short Beach Golf Course)
- 35 COMMON REDPOLLS (Sniffen's Lane birches)

NOTE: Short Beach Park (and Long Beach) was gated closed, but I walked in and
birded on foot.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford