[CT Birds] NY times article-black kites

wingsct at juno.com wingsct at juno.com
Sun Jan 23 16:20:58 EST 2011

Charlie, Some conifers have a substance that may be naturally insect repellent,anti-parasitic.  There is a raptor rehabilitator who uses conifer sprigs/needlesto treat aspergillosis, a serious fungal disease that causes lesions in airwaysand lungs with often fatal results, and is commonly found in raptors and waterbirds. Apparently, it's something in the vapors that are healing to lungs, airways.So, those hawks are practicing some of nature's wonderous wisdom.  Wouldn'tit be nice if we all did!  Meredith SampsonOld Greenwich