[CT Birds] top 10 list..

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 26 18:16:32 EST 2011

When I first saw the results I started to question in my mind the order of
the choices. Despite being very aware of the nature of the survey (the
principle of which I heartily agree with) I couldn't help for a moment
falling back onto too many years of rare records/rarity experience and
assess the choices from a mathematical/statistical view. "How on earth could
LeConte's Sparrow be fourth and Calliope seventh!" I railed silently in my
mind. Then it dawned on me, I was being (as the Brits say) rather a Prat.
The list is clearly just what it should be, the result of a cross section of
the birders who responded, a summation of field ornithology and pure birding
pleasure. In reality, it matters very little to me what birds are on the
list, but it matters infinitely more that there are people who are
interested enough to make the list in the first place. I do have one side
thought though, when Frank sent the original email he accidently left House
Sparrow on the missive when he cut and pasted. No criticism intended here,
just read my blog if you want to see typos. But Roger Tory Peterson had a
particular soft spot for House Sparrows, I wonder if he were still with us
if he would voted for it? I wouldn't blame him if he did.

Dave Provencher