[CT Birds] Pileated Woodpecker

Orientale, Eugene EOrienta at stfranciscare.org
Sun Jan 30 22:15:39 EST 2011

I spent the weekend clearing snow from my roof... systematically raking the roof, moving the fallen snow away from the house, and repeating myself over and over again. Taking a tip from "This Old House," I was laying pantyhose filled with calcium chloride across my ice dams (see http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/skill-builder/0,,211604,00.html).<http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/skill-builder/0,,211604,00.html%29.>  I did take time to look at my feeders occasionally, and to note a beautiful red tail hawk soaring overhead at one point. But after two days (and over 16 hours of work), I was richly rewarded today. My very last task of the weekend was snowblowing a better path to my backyard birdfeeders. As I did so, a beautiful male pileated woodpecker stopped by in my woods. As a new birder in the past six months, I have to confess I have never seen one. I was thrilled, amazed, and overjoyed by the sight. What a magnificent bird; striking markings, a beautiful undercoat, and enormous size. I have never seen such a large woodpecker in my life!

Eugene Orientale
Glastonbury CT
NOTICE: This email and/or attachments may contain confidential or proprietary information which may be legally privileged. It is intended only for the named recipient(s). If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this email, please notify the author by replying to this message. If you are not the named recipient, you are not authorized to use, disclose, distribute, make copies or print this email, and should immediately delete it from your computer system. Saint Francis Care has scanned this email and its attachments for malicious content. However, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Saint Francis Care accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.