[CT Birds] sharpie having early dinner

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 17:00:21 EST 2011

2/8  Orange backyard
At 4:35PM a female sharp shinned hawk landed under my bird feeders with a
blue jay in her talons.  I am kind of squeemish, and my husband wanted to
chase it off, but I told him that the blue jay probably wouldn't survive,
and the sharpie needed to eat as well. But the sharpie took its sweet time
taking apart the blue jay, sitting under my feeders for almost 10 minutes,
then it carried  the remains of the blue jay into an evergreen.
In previous posts, I would have described the sharpie as the villain and the
blue jay as the victim, but I have learned from others' comments that this
is nature.  I just wish she would have taken her catch somewhere else
sooner to consume it.
this could be the same sharpie that I saw last year (with help on the ID
from Jim Zipp and Brian) eating a common grackle.
Bev Propen, Orange