[CT Birds] Morning in Madison-COMMON EIDER and RAZORBILL Keith Mueller

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Wed Feb 9 10:58:33 EST 2011

Just a quick report this morning-

Madison- Meigs Point Hammonasset (7:30 - 9:00 am)- Not much to report
but a small flock of Horned Larks with a few SNOW BUNTINGS continue
between the beach at Meigs to the parking lot by the Nature Center.
Off Meigs- 1 fly-by drake COMMON EIDER heading west from the Moraine
Trail towards the jetty, 36 Black Ducks, 1 dr. Red Breasted Merganser,
1 dr. Common Goldeneye, 1 Dunlin, 1 Red Throated Loon, 2 Common Loons,
a handful of typical Gull species and a few unidentified Sparrows.

Along Seaview Avenue- at Fence Creek (just below the bridge) 30
Blackducks and 11 Hooded Mergansers.

Whistler Rocks to Tuxis Island- 60+/- Common Goldeneye (I didn't see
any Barrows). The birds were broken up into small groups by Whistler
Rocks,along the seawall of Seaview Ave. and inside of and by the
eastern point of Tuxis Island. In the flock of Goldeneyes at the
eastern point of Tuxis was 1 RAZORBILL diving continually. It remained
on the surface for only a short time before it dove again. The bird
eventually swam outside the point then I lost track of it swimming
directly into the bright sun.

Keith Mueller   Killingworth