[CT Birds] NEXRAD Article (bird migration on radar)

B Inskeep binskeep at optonline.net
Sun Feb 13 07:47:52 EST 2011

http://www.eagleoptics.com/articles/birding/nexrad-ornithology?emailid=20110208x7

Greetings to all,

In my short time visiting the northeast I've noticed a certain eager anticipation of spring and the arrival of migrating birds felt among birders which is reflected this time of year in posts to this list and others in nearby regions.  For those interested, here is a short and simple article that was recently posted to the Mid-Hudson bird list regarding the use of NEXRAD to monitor bird migration on radar.  I often check the "radar" during spring and fall migration and Roy is always good about sending out an alert (with a link to the map) when there is potentially heavy movement through the area.  It really gives a good perspective of the masses of birds moving in order to create images on radar like this.  Pretty amazing when it occurs!

Brenda Inskeep