[CT Birds] Eastern bluebirds anyone? Washington, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 4 17:10:01 EDT 2011

I just completed a short walk around our house and the field belowour house and I had at least seven eastern bluebirds "singing" away, mostly from perches high in the trees. Looks like bluebird "romance" is in the air. I am thinking I need to get more bluebird nesting boxes up before the tree swallows, maybe a house wren also, arrive to occupy most of the bluebird nesting boxes I have here. I do not recall hearing this number of bluebirds here in a long time so it looks like the bluebirds did alright over this past rotten winter. Also heard a Carolina wren from a neighbor's yard. I heard a Carolina wren about 3 weeks ago from the same location. The nearest Carolina wren I have seen around here has been at the bottom of South Street by RT 47. Looks like the Carolina wrens are moving up South Street.

David W Babington
Washington, CT