[CT Birds] Golden-Crowned Kinglets Galore in Greenwich

sean at seanmurthaart.com sean at seanmurthaart.com
Tue Apr 5 14:24:13 EDT 2011

I had a single one last week but today there was a "wave" of GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS- they seemed to be everywhere in the trees and thickets around the maintainence yard in Bruce Park.  Also a cooperative WINTER WREN; both species gave me the best up-close looks of them I've ever had.  A small wave of JUNCOS was also evident  (these haven't been around in a while), and the NORTHERN FLICKERS are back- I had my first four of the year.

Grass Island yesterday had 24 BONAPARTES GULLS (several beginning to show all-black heads), a COOT, and a COMMON LOON quite close to shore, in a transitional plumage. The winter ducks appear to have gone except for BLACK DUCKS and BUFFLEHEADS.

Sean Murtha

seanmurthaart.com