[CT Birds] Purple Martins! Flicker migration

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Wed Apr 6 15:48:21 EDT 2011

Purple Martins have returned to Connecticut already. You may be able to see some of these early birds (there were 8 there this morning) on the fantastic cameras at our friend Gazebo Phil's - http://gazebophil.com - I definitely recommend bookmarking his site and watching the Purple Martins throughout the spring and summer. As you can see you get outside views as well as one inside a gourd! Watching them go through the breeding season is quite compelling.

Today has been a good day for Northern Flicker migration at Stratford Point. One or two of the birds occasionally fly in off the water looking quite tired. Twan had seen about 15 of them do this by midday. It is just another example of the intriguing and unique observations we get at our special location.

========
Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation Technician
Connecticut Audubon Society