[CT Birds] Dating in the cold

Dana Campbell dana.l.campbell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 07:48:36 EDT 2011

This morning I was feeling sorry for my faithful Northern Flicker male who
was at his post on the corner of my garage gutter drilling away.  When he
would stop drilling and give his long call I could see the vapor rise from
his beak in the cold air.  Brrrrrr.  But then, a female flew in and landed
next to him on the roof.  He proceeded to go through the rest of his ritual
repertoire of stomping and fanning his tail, etc.  And then they flew off
together into the woods.  Guess it pays to get up early on a cold Spring
morning.

--
Dana Campbell, Priest in Charge
Church of the Good Shepherd, Hartford
dana.l.campbell at gmail.com

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if
no birds sang except for the best.     --Henry Van Dyke