[CT Birds] Big Day 2011

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Mon May 2 22:41:27 EDT 2011

Hi all; Well, it's that time of the year again, and the Raven Luna-ticks are taking another run at the Connecticut Big Day record. Last year we came within one, with 185 species, and earned close to $3000 for the Connecticut Audubon Society's Coastal Center at Milford Point. We couldn't have done it without the help of Connecticut's birders.

We are again asking for information on the locations of:

1) nesting raptors (we promise not to disclose locations)
2) lingering waterfowl, from eiders to Long-tailed Duck, buffleheads to green or blue-winged teal, all three scoters, gadwall, bufflehead, goldeneye, red-breasted, hooded and common mergansers, Snow Geese, etc.
3) rare nesters such as Nashville, Northern Parula, Golden-winged, Kentucky, and Morning Warblers, Common Nighthawks, King Rail, Sora, both Bitterns, Pied-billed Grebe, American Coot and Common Gallinule, Crossbills, dark-eyed juncos, White-throated Sparrows, Red-breasted nuthatch, and golden-crowned kinglets, grasshopper, clay-colored, and vesper sparrows, Horned Lark, Eastern Meadowlark (especially in the northwest corner, or near hartford).
4) Barn Owl
5) Great Cormorants
6) Any rarities
7) Nest locations for things that can go quiet in mid-May such as, Belted Kingfisher, Hairy Woodpecker, Blue-headed Vireo...  Common Raven

Please contact me directly at Peeplo at aol.com, and thank you all for your support. We can't wait to make another run. We'll be going some time during the week of May 16...

Thanks again,

Frank Gallo
One of those Raven Luna-ticks... (you have to be one to stay up for 24 hours chasing birds)

Life is short. Bird often.