[CT Birds] Les Mehrhoff memorial symposium

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 4 10:47:44 EDT 2011

Some on this list may be interested in the event described below:

The future of biodiversity in the Northeast: Building on Les Mehrhoff's legacy.

The event is open to all, but space is limited so people are requested to register, see below for details.

************************

An updated program and registration form for the Les Mehrhoff Memorial
Event can be downloaded from UConn's Center of Conservation and
Biodiversity website (http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/department/bioconctr/).
 Speakers will be coming from Delaware, Georgia, Maine, New York, North
Carolina, etc.  In addition to various biographical sketches, a slide
show, and anecdotal accounts there will be a range of talks on botany,
invasive species, endangered species, and climate change.

During the noon-time hour, there will be tours of UConn's biological
collections and greenhouses, live demonstrations of John Pickering's
ever-expanding compendium of biodiversity (Discover Life), and a small
poster session.

Several authors will be signing books over the lunch hour:  Michael
Canfield will have copies of his new book "Field Notes on Science and
Nature" (which is receiving very favorable reviews), Doug Tallamy will
have copies of his "Bringing Nature Home: How Native plants Sustain
Wildlife in Our Gardens," Jane O'Donnell is promising to have copies of
the Connecticut Butterfly Atlas signed by all three of its authors, and I
 will bring along copies of my Princeton caterpillar guide.  Even if you
 already own these titles, this might be a good opportunity to purchase
additional copies as gifts.

At the end of the day, there will be an open mic session for people to share memories about Les.

PLEASE register by 13 May, 2011. Send this form or an email to Patricia
Anderson (patricia.anderson at uconn.edu) to reserve a place at this event.

It should be a wonderful day.

David L. Wagner

Ecology & Evolutionary Biology

University of Connecticut

PS Please feel free to forward this message to other interested parties (and appropriate list serves).

Chris Elphick

Storrs, CT

elphick at sbcglobal.net