[CT Birds] yellowlegs? ID help

martin swanhall mswanhall at earthlink.net
Fri May 6 17:30:55 EDT 2011

On way home today, saw what appeared to be 3 yellowlegs - but really could not make out their leg color since they were either "leg deep in water" or too far for my binocs to distinguish legs.  The birds did bob themselves as they walked on the mudflats and had checkered grayish backs, white bellies with gray streaked breasts and   very distinctive and well defined white eye rings.

I saw them in the wetlands (lower now than in winter) on South Pomperaug Road here in Woodbury.

Is that the best I can say they were - either greater or lesser yellowlegs or is there some other mark I should have looked for.

Thanks,

Marty in Woodbury