[CT Birds] Shorebird Show continues

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Mon May 23 10:34:20 EDT 2011

5/23/11 - Westport - Compo Beach - 1 Black-bellied Plover,50+ Short-billed Dowitchers

Sherwood Mill Pond - 250+ shorebird flock,mostly Short-billed Dowitchers with some Black-bellied Plovers,Dunlin and Least Sandpipers,at least one young Osprey chick spotted in the nest along with the attentive parents

Sherwood Island SP -50+ Short-billed Dowitchers,10 Semipalmated Plovers,Willets in Mill Creek marsh,also 1 Brown Thrasher near the wooden bridge and also near the viewing platform

Burying Hill Beach - 75+ Black-bellied Plovers

Southport - Southport Beach - 2500+ Brant flying west to east and landing near the harbor

This has been one of the best years for seeing large numbers of shorebirds in CT,at least for me. I am used to seeing these large groups on Cape Cod,especially on South Beach or on the outer Cape in July and August. If you have not seen shorebirds in their brilliant breeding plumages,get to the coast and see these birds. No matter the gray cool damp conditions. You will not be disappointed!

Tina Green
Westport