[CT Birds] Acadian Flycatcher- Bent of the River

ELKINS, Kenneth kelkins at audubon.org
Wed May 25 16:37:21 EDT 2011

>From Ken Elkins with Pomperaug High School Field Biology students:
5/25 - Southbury, Bent of the River - 1 ACADIAN FLYCATCHER, 13 species of warblers including 1 Canada warbler, and 2 BARRED OWLS dueting at 9:45am!

The Acadian Flycatcher was singing along the Zig-Zag trail, it's been at least 3 years since we've observed them in that area, so we're happy to have them back.

Also of note here at the Bent, we've seen a female Hooded warbler carrying food towards a nest the past few days.  Over the weekend a hen Common merganser was seen with 11 fledglings in tow.

Ken Elkins
Education Program Manager
Audubon Center at Bent of the River
185 East Flat Hill Road