[CT Birds] FW: [MASSBIRD] Still space on the BBC EXTREME Pelagic trip on July 16

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 11 05:29:07 EDT 2011

I am forwarding Ida's posting  in case any CT birders are interested. I look forward to seeing those of you that can make it!
Tina GreenWellfleet,MAWestport,CT

Greetings:We still have space on our July 16, 2011 – 4 AM to 9PM  Brookline Bird Club pelagic trip from Hyannis, MA to the shelf edge (Hydrographer and/or nearby canyons). The trip will be led by Marshall Iliff, Jeremiah Trimble, James P. Smith, and Steve Mirick. Our comfortable boat, the Helen H, will be steaming far off shore in search of Gulf Stream associated waters and explore the continental shelf edge, a biologically rich area where the water depths drop off from a couple of hundred feet to over a mile deep. We have a good chance of seeing Band-Rumped Storm-petrels, Bridled Tern, Audubon's Shearwater and other rarities which occur only in the warmer, deeper waters. We expect to see several species of shearwaters (Sooty, Great, Cory's, Manx), Wilson's and Leach’s Storm-petrels, jaegers (all three are possible), and perhaps a skua. In addition we usually encounter marine mammals (Humpback, Fin, Sperm, Blue, Northern Right and other whales have been seen on previous trips)  This has been a great year along the Gulf Stream – a Fea's Petrel was sighted in June near Hudson Canyon, NY; a NOAA vessel reported a remarkable 11 Herald Petrel off the coast of NC, and additionally has been reporting a large number of White-tailed Tropicbirds. It is only a matter of time until we find some of these birds in MA waters. Many people missed out on our June trip and our August trip is full. Weather in July should be very pleasant.  It is not the Hurricane season here, yet. To reserve a space, or for further information, contact Ida Giriunas at 781-929-8772 or ida8 at verizon.netCost: BBC Members: $140.00
Non-members: $160.00
 Ida GiriunasReading, MA<ida8 at verizon.net>