[CT Birds] Branford/Hammo - NO King Rail, NO Wilson's Phalarope

Alexander Burdo alexanderburdo at mac.com
Mon Jul 11 14:26:09 EDT 2011

>From Alex Burdo and Jim Orrico:
7/11/11 - Branford, Stony Creek Nature Trail -- The King Rail reported at this location on Friday was not present here from 9:15-10:00 today. According to Gina, the bird was viewable from the old trolley/train bridge on the right so anyone visiting just needs to stand on the bridge and wait.
Madison, Hammonasset SP -- We were not able to come up with the Wilson's Phalarope but had a nice group of 26 Common Terns on the Moraine Trail, which included a first-summer bird plus a juvenile as well as one basic-plumaged FORSTER'S TERN and one adult ROSEATE TERN. The terns were seen at the end of the trail, resting on the rocks and beach. Other highlights along the trail included 1 Willow Flycatcher, 1 Glossy Ibis 1 Short-billed Dowitcher (breeding plumaged griseus), 2 Ruddy Turnstone, plus 1 Lesser and 1 Greater Yellowlegs foraging in the pond adjacent to the Moraine Trail parking lot. Elsewhere in the park, we were able to pick up a LITTLE BLUE HERON and a SALTMARSH SPARROW in the marsh near the Nature Center (on your right if you're facing Willard's Island) and a PURPLE MARTIN flying over the marsh on the way out.

Alex Burdo
Fairfield