[CT Birds] Stratford Point species help

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Mon Jul 11 17:44:10 EDT 2011

Thank you to everyone who contributed bird sightings and historical information for Stratford Point. Please keep all of that data coming. Additionally, I would like to request a bit off topic info, namely butterflies, moths, dragonflies, mammals, herps, anything and everything. If you have data on anything rare, cool, unique, or even basic for any class at the Stratford Point property or immediately adjacent areas we would love to have it. I'm going to guess that given the group I'm requesting this of that there may be some butterflies or moths you may have seen here sometime. We have so many of them, and they are starting to become more common and diverse right now.

There were no birds of real significant note at Stratford Point today. What was most noticeable among the groups of terns/gulls/egrets were 40+ Least Terns. For the past couple of weeks we have seen 2-5 at most among hundreds of Commons, but they were feeding and carrying fish all day long. There were 6 Semipalmated Plovers, 2 Least Sandpipers, and 4 Spotted Sandpipers on the beach mid-day. Our 4 Purple Martin remain, and 1 Brant continued on a bar closer to Milford.

========
Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation Technician
Connecticut Audubon Society