[CT Birds] 7/13 Sandy Point, West Haven -- Shorebirds building, Saltmarsh Sparrow singing

Sunrisebirding sunrisebirding at aol.com
Thu Jul 14 09:43:07 EDT 2011

I hesitated to post this last night as I was stunned by the news of the
passing
of Richard English.  Thinking about it, I realized that Richard would
have wanted me to share  this.

Wednesday, July 13: 6 - 8:30 PM, Sandy Point, West Haven
It was a lovely summer evening at Sandy Point with the storm passing
just to the
north, a double rainbow and later on, the nearly full moon!

Shorebirds are building with a good cross-section of birds on show.
Highlights
were 3 Yellow-crowned Night Herons (2 adults and 1 juvenile) and a
singing
Saltmarsh Sparrow.

>From Gina Nichol and Sunrise Birding mid-summer evening walk:
7/13/2011 - Sandy Point, West Haven -- SALTMARSH SPARROW,
YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT HERON (3)
Other sightings: Mallard, Double-crested Cormorant, Great Blue Heron
(2), Snowy Egret (3),
Black-crowned Night Heron (1), Yellow-crowned Night Heron (3), Osprey,
Clapper
Rail, Semipalmated Plover, Piping Plover, American Oystercatcher,
Greater
Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs (2), Spotted Sandpiper (juv & adult),
Semipalmated
Sandpiper (9), Least Sandpiper (20+) Short-billed Dowitcher (8),
Ring-billed
Gull, Herring Gull, Common Tern (6), Least Tern, Rock Pigeon, American
Crow,
Tree Swallow, Barn Swallow, American Robin, Northern Mockingbird, Cedar
Waxwing,
Saltmarsh Sparrow, Song Sparrow, Red-winged Blackbird, House Sparrow.

Gina Nichol
Sunrise Birding, LLC
Worldwide Bird Watching Tours & Wildlife Safaris
P.O. Box 274
Cos Cob, CT 06807-0274   USA
Office: 1.203.453.6724
Web site: http://www.sunrisebirding.com