[CT Birds] FW: Rhode Island pelagic August 19-20

philiprusch at charter.net philiprusch at charter.net
Sat Jul 16 15:18:04 EDT 2011

Carlos Pedro asked me to forward this pelagic trip opportunity to CT
Birds.  I know that several Connecticut birders are already signed up.
Anyone interested should contact Carlos at:

          dcpedro at cox.net

Phil Rusch
Chaplin

Hi Everyone,
For the third year I am organizing a dedicated pelagic trip  to Block
Canyon
and the shelf edge south of RI. I have reserved August 19 th on the
'Lady Frances' out
of Galilee, RI. This boat is the newest and fastest boat of the Frances
Fleet.
The boat would depart on Friday August 19th at 9 PM and return on the
20th at 9
pm. There are bunks onboard for 45 passengers but this trip will be
limited to
40.The idea would be to sleep on the way and wake up at dawn on the
shelf edge
90 miles out , bird until 3 PM and return to port. There is a full
Galley and
food and drink can be bought or you can bring your own. The cost of the
trip if
we can get 40 birders will be $150. This price includes a tip for the
mates.

This trip could present a great opportunity to possibly see some of the
rarer
visitors to RI waters such as Audubon's Shearwater, Bridled and Arctic
Tern,
South Polar Skua, Jaegers, White-faced and Leach's Storm-Petrels and
Band-rumped Storm-Petrel. On last year's trip we had a Black-capped
Petrel,
Band-rumped Storm-Petrel, 2 Long-tailed Jaegers and 11 Audubon's
Shearwaters.

Please let me know if you are interested as soon as possible. Payment
would be
do in late July but I need to know who is interested before advertising
beyond
this e-mail list. If you know anyone else interested please have them
contact me.
Further info on the 'Lady Frances' can be obtained on the 'FRANCES
FLEET' website.

Carlos Pedro