[CT Birds] Moorhen mystery

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Wed Jul 20 17:51:40 EDT 2011

> One can hypothesize that the wetland cover type may no
> longer be suitable for attracting breeding Common Moorhens.

Very interesting stuff, Anthony.

My idea is that a small, isolated population is always vulnerable.  There will always be fluctuations in population.  Habitat, weather, predators, migration, and just bad luck are just a few of the possible negative contributors.  If the population is small, recovery from a negative swing can become impossible.  It may not happen the first time, or the fifth time, but over time one of the downward swings can just swing too far.  It is not like there are other nearby moorhen populations to balance things out with new members.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT