[CT Birds] Reddish Egret ???

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 20 20:43:11 EDT 2011

Folks,

I received the following email sometime in the last few hours. I have no other information.

Greg

Hello,

My name is Audrey Albrecht. I came across your name and email  on the CT bird forum while searching for reddish egret reports in CT.

Yesterday I was visiting my old workplace, Griswold Point Preserve in Old Lyme ( I am a piping plover biologist ). I can say with confidence that I saw a dark morph reddish egret there. (unless there is another wading bird with identical plumage, bill, and foraging characteristics that I dont know about).   I just spent 6 months on the gulf coast of Texas where I saw reddish egrets in abundance every day so I am confident in my ID. I didn't think to snap a photo of him, as I have hundreds of photos of them from my time in the gulf. I did not realize until later that he was way out of range.

I have never used the CT bird forum before, and I am operating from an iPhone so it's hard to use certain websites.  Perhaps you can help me? Thanks!

I unfortunately had to get on a plane yesterday so I could not stay to try and get photos. Perhaps you or someone you know may have better luck.

Thank you!
- Audrey Albrecht